Back to school means it time to boost everyone's immune system. As cooler weather encroaches we are all forced to spend more time indoors with other people, often with closed windows and poorly circulated air. These are conditions that expose us to more bacteria and viruses than any of us would like.
Here are a few practical ways for us to prevent those bacteria and viruses from getting us sick. These methods are simple but they may prove more difficult to practice than you think.
- Washing hands regularly: Just using a simple soap to clean the hands a few times per day can greatly diminish our exposure to viruses and bacteria.
- Keep your fingers and hands off your face and mouth: It is estimated that people touch their faces hundreds of times per day! Much of this touching is habitual and unconscious. If we focus carefully we can break this habit and reduce our exposure to the bugs that make us ill.
- Click Here for a link to a video that shows the most effective way to wash hands with soap and water.
Chinese medicine has several powerful approaches to maintaining a healthy immune system. These time tested ideas can add potent weapons to your germ busting arsenal.
- Yin Qiao San: This ancient formula has many modern day equivalents. It serves as the base for Wellness formula and the popular product Airborne. Taken in it's raw herbal form or as an alcohol tincture it reaches it's most potent concentration. This formula is good for early onset colds when your throat is raw and your body is achey. Once phlegm is present as nasal congestion or post nasal drip the cold has penetrated too deeply and yin qiao san is no longer the best formula.
- Cupping: Yes that popular therapy that Michael Phelps exposed to the world for it ability to relieve muscle pain and tension is also used to strengthen the immune system and defend against colds and flus.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture has specific points that are used to increase white blood cell count, open the lungs, and calm the nervous system, all components of a healthy immune system.
If you do get sick, don't give up hope. There are many acupuncture techniques and Chinese herbal formulas designed to counteract colds and flus and shorten the duration and intensity of these illnesses. Call us and we will be happy to get you in and on the road to recovery.