This recipe makes 2 cups
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, preferably coconut milk or almond milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1-2 inch piece of turmeric, unpeeled, thinly sliced or crushed, or 1/2 teaspoon dried turmeric
- 1/2-inch piece ginger, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey (added after cooking)
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Whisk together coconut milk, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, coconut oil, peppercorns, and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. When it comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve and serve in a mug.
- The milk will store well if refrigerated for up to 5 days.
- The drink can be modified in countless ways! Try adding cardamom, or other spices, or increasing the ginger and turmeric.
- The coconut oil and peppercorns are important ingredients as they aid in the digestion of turmeric.