Fish and algae oils are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids, know as DHA and EPA, are precursors of eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are signaling molecules know for their ability to activate anti-inflammatory pathways in the body.
Omega-3 fatty acids accumulate in fish that eat micro-algae. The algae naturally produce the oils. The fish bio-accumulate the oils produced by the algae. Fish do not produce these oils on their own.
Benefits of EPA oils:
- Cardiovascular health: Omega 3 fatty acids reduce harmful blood cholesterol levels.
- Asthma: Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, a key component to asthma.
- Soothes Arthritis: Painful arthritis is an inflammatory process and omega 3 oils reduce inflammation systemically.
- Alzheimer's disease: Some studies suggest a protective role omega 3 oils may play in this complicated disease, reducing memory loss and acting as a preventative.
Benefits of DHA oils:
- Brain Development/ function: Developing brains use high qualities of DHA oil. These are especially important for pregnant mothers and young children.
Dangers of Fish Oils:
- Heavy metals: High level predator fish accumulate environmental toxins including mercury, PCBs and Chlordane.
- Dwindling wild fish stocks: Overfishing of the oceans is a great concern for the future health of our planet.
Ways to get Omega 3 Acids Safely & Responsibly:
- Algae supplements: These are newer to the market but are a safe way to get healthy oils with no environmental cost to dwindling fish stocks. We will be researching high quality algae supplements as a possible replacement to fish oils in the near future.
- Responsible companies: Inner Gate acupuncture carries Nordic Naturals brand fish oils. This company has strong sustainability practices. They also have high purity, low heavy metal and low spoilage of their products.