Dangers of Acidity in The Body: Long term exposure to acids can denature and damage cellular structure. This leads to poor cell function. It is important that the inner body stay alkaline.
The tissues of our body are damaged by acid. The obvious exception to this is the stomach, which is equipped with specialized cells that can handle strong acids. Tissues like muscles, organs, and connective tissue all break down in the presence of acids. Broken down tissues require our bodies to work hard to remove and repair them.
How does the body become acidic? The body slowly becomes acidic if we eat too many acid-producing foods. Acid producing foods include sugar, corn, wheat, oils and animal protein. Over consumption of these types of foods and underconsumption of alkalizing foods like lemons, cabbage, collard greens and spinach will lead to acid production in the body.
Lemon Juice: It's acidic right? Outside the body, lemon juice is acidic. The pH of lemon juice is below 7 meaning its acidic, above 7 is alkaline and 7 is neutral. However, once inside the body the juice is broken down and the mineral content is disassociated. The lemon juice is then alkaline and has an alkalizing effect on the body.
10 Benefits of Drinking Lemon Juice
- Decreases low-density lipoprotein (LDL) or “bad” cholesterol
- Cuts through and reduces phlegm congesting the lungs and sinuses, or phlegm expressed externally as pus (ex. acne, boils, shingles)
- Cuts through adipose (fat) and cellulite tissue to assist weight loss, especially when taken first thing in the morning before breakfast
- Decreases “fatty” liver
- Astringes body fluid to help prevent abnormal fluid discharge (ex. night sweats, spontaneous daytime sweats, seminal leakage, urine incontinence, bedwetting)
- Maintains teeth and mouth health
- Reduces sweet, pastry and gluten cravings (which all cause acidic environments in the body)
- Detoxifies and alkalizes acidic conditions seen in many diseases ailing people today (ex. rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, degenerative arthritis, osteoporosis, obesity, gout, diabetes type II, multiple sclerosis, digestive disorders, allergies, chronic fatigue)
- Nourishes and relaxes tight fascia tissue – ligaments, tendons and connective tissue
- Maintains glowing, moisturized healthy skin and boosts immunity