Besides its role in proper bone formation, research is showing how vitamin D plays an important disease fighting role in the body. Maintaining optimized levels of vitamin D can have powerful effect on the immune system and reduce the risk of many maladies.
Research is showing vitamin D plays a crucial role in the following diseases.
- The risk of cancers including pancreatic, lung, ovarian, prostate, and skin are reduced when vitamin D is optimized.
- Vitamin D reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Alzheimer’s disease is complicated and its development is not completely understood. However, it does appear that optimal levels of vitamin D may contribute to a reduction in the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Age-related macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness and good vitamin D levels reduce the risk of its development.
- Vitamin D is helpful in the fight against lung diseases including tuberculosis, pneumonia, colds, and flu.